- Included in Eastons: No
- Included in Hitchcocks: No
- Included in Naves: No
- Included in Smiths: No
- Included in Websters: Yes
- Included in Strongs: Yes
- Included in Thayers: Yes
- Included in BDB: Yes
- H2554 Used 1 time
- H2834 Used 4 times
- H3205 Used 0 times
- H5375 Used 0 times
- H6181 Used 4 times
- H6209 Used 1 time
- H6544 Used 1 time
- G1080 Used 1 time
- G1131 Used 1 time
- G3140 Used 0 times
- G399 Used 1 time
- G4160 Used 2 times
- G5342 Used 1 time
- G941 Used 4 times
BARE, adjective [This word is from opening, separating, stripping.]
1. Naked, without covering; as, the arm is bare; the trees are bare
2. With the head uncovered, from respect.
3. Plain; simple; unadorned; without the polish of refined manners.
4. Laid open to view; detected; no longer concealed.
5. Poor; destitute; indigent; empty; unfurnished.
I have made Esau bare Jer.xlix.
6. Alone; unaccompanied.
7. Thread-bare; much worn.
8. Wanting clothes; or ill supplied with garments.
Under bare poles, at sea, signifies having no sail set.
It is often followed by of; as, the country is bare of money.
BARE, verb transitive [See bare adj.]
To strip off the covering; to make naked; as, to bare the breast.
BARE, the old preterit of bear, now bore.
BA'REBONE, noun [See Bone.] A very lean person.
BA'REBONED, adjective Lean, so that the bones appear, or rather so that the bones show their forms.
BA'RED, participle passive Made bare; made naked.
BA'REFACED, participle passive [See Face.]
1. With the face uncovered; not masked.
2. Undisguised; unreserved; without concealment; hence shameless; impudent; audacious; as a barefaced falsehood.
BA'REFACEDLY, adverb Without disguise or reserve; openly; impudently.
BA'REFACEDNESS, noun Effrontery; assurance; audaciousness.
BA'REFOOT, adjective [See Foot.]
BA'REFOOT, adjective or adverb With the feet bare; as, to dance barefoot
BA'REFOOTED, adjective Having the feet bare.
BA'REGNAWN, adjective [See Gnaw.] Eaten bare.
BA'REHEADED, [See Head.] Having the head uncovered, either from respect or other cause.
BAREHEADEDNESS, noun State of being bareheaded.
BA'RELEGGED, adjective Having the legs bare.
BA'RELY, adverb Nakedly; poorly; indigently; without decoration; merely; only; without any thing more; as a price barely in title.
BA'RENECKED, adjective Having the neck uncovered; exposed.
BA'RENESS, noun Nakedness; leanness; poverty; indigence; defect of clothes, or the usual covering.
BA'REPICKED, adjective Picked to the bone.
BA'RERIBBED, adjective Lean.