- Gedaliah used 32 times.
- Included in Eastons: Yes
- Included in Hitchcocks: Yes
- Included in Naves: Yes
- Included in Smiths: Yes
- Included in Websters: No
- Included in Strongs: Yes
- Included in Thayers: No
- Included in BDB: Yes
- H1436 Used 32 times
Made great by Jehovah.
1. the son of Jeduthum (1 Chronicles 25:3, 9).
2. The grandfather of the prophet Zephaniah, and the father of Cushi (Zephaniah 1:1).
3. One of the Jewish nobles who conspired against Jeremiah (Jeremiah 38:1).
4. The son of Ahikam, and grandson of Shaphan, secretary of king Josiah (Jeremiah 26:24). After the destruction of Jerusalem (see ZEDEKIAH), Nebuchadnezzar left him to govern the country as tributary to him (2 Kings 25:22; Jeremiah 40:5; 52:16). Ishmael, however, at the head of a party of the royal family, "Jewish irreconcilables", rose against him, and slew him and "all the Jews that were with him" (Jeremiah 41:2, 3) at Mizpah about three months after the destruction of Jerusalem. He and his band also plundered the town of Mizpah, and carried off many captives. He was, however, overtaken by Johanan and routed. He fled with such of his followers as escaped to the Ammonites (41:15). The little remnant of the Jews now fled to Egypt.
God is my greatness
1. Governor appointed by Nebuchadnezzar after carrying the Jews into captivity
2 Kings 25:22-24
Warned of the conspiracy of Ishmael by Johanan, and the captains of his army
3. A priest, who divorced his Gentile wife after the exile
4. Ancestor of Zephaniah
5. A prince who caused imprisonment of Jeremiah
(God is my greatness), son of Ahikam (Jeremiah's protector, (Jeremiah 26:24) and grandson of Shaphan the secretary of King Josiah. After the destruction of the temple, B.C. 588, Nebuchadnezzar departed from Judea, leaving Gedaliah with a Chaldean guard, (Jeremiah 40:5) at Mizpah to govern the vinedressers and husbandmen, (Jeremiah 52:16) who were exempted from captivity. Jeremiah jointed Gedaliah; and Mizpah became the resort of Jews from various quarters. (Jeremiah 40:6,11) He was murdered by Ishm'l two months after his appointment.