- Mattan used 3 times.
- First Reference: 2 Kings 11:18
- Last Reference: Jeremiah 38:1
- Included in Eastons: Yes
- Included in Hitchcocks: Yes
- Included in Naves: Yes
- Included in Smiths: Yes
- Included in Websters: No
- Included in Strongs: Yes
- Included in Thayers: No
- Included in BDB: Yes
- H4977 Used 3 times
1. A priest of Baal, slain before his altar during the reformation under Jehoiada (2 Kings 11:18).
2. The son of Eleazar, and father of Jacob, who was the father of Joseph, the husband of the Virgin Mary (Matthew 1:15).
3. The father of Shephatiah (Jeremiah 38:1).
Mattana, Mattenai, gifts; rains
1. A priest of Baal slain in the idol temple at Jerusalem
2 Kings 11:18; 2 Chronicles 23:17
2. Father of Shephatiah
- The priest of Baal slain before his altars in the idol temple at Jerusalem. (2 Kings 11:18; 2 Chronicles 23:17) He probably accompanied Athalia from Samaria.
- The father of Shephatiah. (Jeremiah 38:1)
A gift, a station of the Israelites (Numbers 21:18, 19) between the desert and the borders of Moab, in the Wady Waleh.
A station of Israel.
(gift of Jehovah), a station the latter part of the wandering of the Isr'lites. (Numbers 21:18,19) It was probably situated to the southeast of the Dead Sea.
Gift of Jehovah.
1. A Levite, son of Heman, the chief of the ninth class of temple singers (1 Chronicles 25:4, 16).
2. A Levite who assisted in purifying the temple at the reformation under Hezekiah (2 Chronicles 29:13).
3. The original name of Zedekiah (q.v.), the last of the kings of Judah (2 Kings 24:17). He was the third son of Josiah, who fell at Megiddo. He succeeded his nephew Jehoiakin.
gift, or hope, of the Lord
1. Original name of Zedekiah, king of Judah
2 Kings 24:17
2. A Levite of the sons of Asaph
2 Chronicles 20:14; Nehemiah 12:8
3. Son of Heman, who had charge of the ninth division of musicians
1 Chronicles 25:4; 1 Chronicles 25:16
4. Descendant of Asaph, who assisted in purifying the temple
2 Chronicles 29:13
5. Four Israelites who divorced their Gentile wives after the captivity
Ezra 10:26-27; Ezra 10:30; Ezra 10:37
6. A Levite, father of Zaccur
(gift of Jehovah).
- The original name of Zedekiah king of Judah, which was changed when Nebuchadnezzar placed him on the throne. (2 Kings 24:17)
- A Levite singer of the sons of Asaph. (1 Chronicles 9:15) He was leader of the temple choir after its restoration, (Nehemiah 11:17; 12:8) in the time of Nehemiah, and took part in the musical service which accompanied the dedication of the wall of Jerusalem. (Nehemiah 12:25,35)
- A descendant of Asaph, and ancestor of Jahaziel the Levite, in the reign of Jehoshaphat. (2 Chronicles 20:14)
- One of the sons of Elam. (Ezra 10:26)
- One of the sons of Zattu. (Ezra 10:27)
- A descendant of Pahath-moab, (Ezra 10:30) and
- One of the sons of Bani. (Ezra 10:37) who all put away their foreign wives at Ezra's command.
- A Levite, father of Zaccur and ancestor of Hanan the under-treasurer who had charge of the offerings for the Levites in the time of Nehemiah. (Nehemiah 13:13)
- One of the fourteen sons of Heman, whose office it was to blow the horns in the temple service appointed by David. (1 Chronicles 25:4,16)
- A descendant of Asaph the Levite minstrel, who assisted in the purification of the temple in the reign of Hezekiah. (2 Chronicles 29:13)