- answer used 131 times.
- answerable used once.
- answered used 492 times.
- answeredst used twice.
- Answerest used 6 times.
- answereth used 13 times.
- answering used 31 times.
- answers used 3 times.
- Included in Eastons: No
- Included in Hitchcocks: No
- Included in Naves: No
- Included in Smiths: No
- Included in Websters: Yes
- Included in Strongs: Yes
- Included in Thayers: Yes
- Included in BDB: Yes
'ANSWER, verb transitive ansur.
1. To speak in return to a call or question, or to a speech, declaration or argument of another person; as, 'I have called and ye have not answered.' 'He answered the question or the argument.' This may be in agreement and confirmation of what was said, or in opposition to it.
2. To be equivalent to; to be adequate to, or sufficient to accomplish the object. 'Money answereth all things, ' noting, primarily, return.
3. To comply with, fulfill, pay or satisfy; as, he answered my order; to answer a debt.
4. To act in return, or opposition; as, the enemy answered our fire by a shower of grape shot.
5. To bear a due proportion to; to be equal or adequate; to suit; as, a weapon does not answer the size and strength of the man using it; the success does not answer our expectation.
6. To perform what was intended; to accomplish; as, the measure does not answer its end; it does not answer the purpose.
7. To be opposite to; to face; as, fire answers fire.
8. To write in reply; to reply to another writing, by way of explanation, refutation or justification; as, to answer a pamphlet.
9. To solve, as a proposition or problem in mathematics.
This word may be applied to a great variety of objects, expressing the idea of a return; as the notes, or sounds of birds, and other animals; an echo, etc.
'ANSWER, verb intransitive
1. To reply; to speak by way of return; as, there is none to answer 1 Kings 18:29.
2. To be accountable, liable or responsible; followed by to before the person, and for before the thing for which one is liable; as, the man must answer to his employer for the money entrusted to his care; we can not answer to God for our offenses.
3. To vindicate, or give a justificatory account of; followed by for; as, a man cannot answer for his friend.
4. To correspond with; to suit with; followed by to.
In water face answereth to face, so the heart of man to man. Proverbs 27:11.
5. To act reciprocally, as the strings of an instrument to the hand.
6. To stand as opposite or correlative; as, allegiance in the subject answers to protection on the part of the prince or government.
7. To return, as sound reverberated; to echo.
The noise seems to fly away, and answer at a great distance.
8. To succeed; to effect the object intended; to have a good effect; as, gypsum answers as a manure on a dry soil.
1. A reply; that which is said, in return to a call, a question, an argument or an allegation.
A soft answer turneth away wrath. Prov.
I called him, but he gave me no answer Song of Solomon 5:6.
2. An account to be rendered to justice.
He will call you to so hot an answer for it.
3. In law, a counter-statement of facts, in a course of pleadings; a confutation of what the other party has alleged.
4. A writing, pamphlet or book, in reply to another.
5. A reverberated sound; an echo.
6. A return; that which is sent in consequence of some petition, as a blessing is sent in answer to prayer.
7. A solution, the result of a mathematical operation.
8. The reply of a legislative body or house to an address or message of the supreme magistrate.
1. That may be answered; that to which a reply may be made, usually implying that the answer may be satisfactory; as, an answerable argument.
2. Obliged to give an account, or liable to be called to account; amenable; responsible; as, an agent is answerable to his principal.
3. Obliged or liable to pay, indemnify or make good; as, to be answerable for a debt or for damages.
4. Correspondent; agreeing with; in conformity with; as, the features expressed in a picture are answerable to the original.
5. Suitable; suited; proportionate; as, an achievement answerable to the preparation for it.
6. Equal; correspondent; proportionate; as, the success is answerable to my desires.
ANSWERABLENESS, noun The quality of being answerable, liable, responsible, or correspondent.
ANSWERABLY, adverb In due proportion, correspondence or conformity; suitably; as, continents have rivers answerably larger than isles.
ANSWERED, participle passive Replied to; fulfilled; paid; complied with; accomplished; solved; confuted.
ANSWERER, noun One who answers; he or that which makes a return to what another has spoken; he who writes an answer.
'ANSWERING, participle present tense Replying; corresponding to; fulfilling; solving; succeeding; reverberating; confuting.
'ANSWER-JOBBER, noun One who makes a business of writing answers.