- Included in Eastons: Yes
- Included in Hitchcocks: Yes
- Included in Naves: Yes
- Included in Smiths: Yes
- Included in Websters: No
- Included in Strongs: Yes
- Included in Thayers: No
- Included in BDB: Yes
- H2518 Used 34 times
Portion of Jehovah.
3. The father of Eliakim (2 Kings 18:18, 26, 37).
4. The father of Gemariah (Jeremiah 29:3).
5. The father of the prophet Jeremiah (1:1).
6. The high priest in the reign of Josiah (1 Chronicles 6:13; Ezra 7:1). To him and his deputy (2 Kings 23:5), along with the ordinary priests and the Levites who had charge of the gates, was entrusted the purification of the temple in Jerusalem. While this was in progress, he discovered in some hidden corner of the building a book called the "book of the law" (2 Kings 22:8) and the "book of the covenant" (23:2). Some have supposed that this "book" was nothing else than the original autograph copy of the Pentateuch written by Moses (Deuteronomy 31:9-26). This remarkable discovery occurred in the eighteenth year of Josiah's reign (B.C. 624), a discovery which permanently affected the whole subsequent history of Israel. (See JOSIAH; SHAPHAN.)
7. Nehemiah 12:7.
8. Nehemiah 8:4.
God is my portion
2. High priest
2 Kings 22:4; 2 Kings 22:8; 2 Kings 22:10; 2 Kings 22:12; 2 Kings 22:14; 2 Kings 23:4; 2 Kings 23:24; 1 Chronicles 6:13; 1 Chronicles 9:11; 2 Chronicles 34:9; 2 Chronicles 34:14-15; 2 Chronicles 34:18; 2 Chronicles 34:20; 2 Chronicles 34:22; Ezra 7:1; Jeremiah 29:3
(God is my portion)
- Father of Eliakim. (2 Kings 18:37; Isaiah 22:20; 36:22) [ELIAKIM]
- High priest in the reign of Josiah. (2 Kings 22:4) seq. 2 Chronicles 34:9 Seq.; 1 Esd. 1.8. (B.C. 623.) His high priesthood was rendered particularly illustrious by the great reformation effected under it by King Josiah, by the solemn Passover kept at Jerusalem in the 18th year of that king's reign, and above all by the discovery which he made of the book of the law of Moses in the temple.
- A Merarite Levite, son of Amzi (1 Chronicles 6:45) hebr. 30.
- Another Merarite Levite, second son of Hosah. (1 Chronicles 26:11)
- One of those who stood on the right hand of Ezra when he read the law to the people; doubtless a Levite, and probably a priest. (Nehemiah 8:4) (B.C 410.)
- A priest of Anathoth, father of the prophet Jeremiah. (Jeremiah 1:1) (B.C. before 628.)
- Father of Gemariah, who was one of Zedekiah's envoys to Babylon. (Jeremiah 29:3) (B.C. long before 587.)