- Shimei used 42 times.
- Included in Eastons: Yes
- Included in Hitchcocks: Yes
- Included in Naves: Yes
- Included in Smiths: Yes
- Included in Websters: No
- Included in Strongs: Yes
- Included in Thayers: No
- Included in BDB: Yes
2. A Benjamite of the house of Saul, who stoned and cursed David when he reached Bahurim in his flight from Jerusalem on the occasion of the rebellion of Absalom (2 Samuel 16:5-13). After the defeat of Absalom he "came cringing to the king, humbly suing for pardon, bringing with him a thousand of his Benjamite tribesmen, and representing that he was heartily sorry for his crime, and had hurried the first of all the house of Israel to offer homage to the king" (19:16-23). David forgave him; but on his death-bed he gave Solomon special instructions regarding Shimei, of whose fidelity he seems to have been in doubt (1 Kings 2:8, 9). He was put to death at the command of Solomon, because he had violated his word by leaving Jerusalem and going to Gath to recover two of his servants who had escaped (36-46).
4. A son of Pedaiah, the brother of Zerubbabel (1 Chronicles 3:19).
5. A Simeonite (1 Chronicles 4:26, 27).
6. A Reubenite (1 Chronicles 5:4).
7. A Levite of the family of Gershon (1 Chronicles 6:42).
8. A Ramathite who was "over the vineyards" of David (1 Chronicles 27:27).
9. One of the sons of Heman, who assisted in the purification of the temple (2 Chronicles 29:14).
10. A Levite (2 Chronicles 31:12, 13).
Shimi, that hears or obeys; my reputation; my fame
3. An officer of David
1 Kings 1:8
4. One of Solomon's commissary officers
1 Kings 4:18
5. Grandson of Jeconiah
1 Chronicles 3:19
6. Son of Zacchur
1 Chronicles 4:26-27
7. A Reubenite, son of Gog
1 Chronicles 5:4
8. A Merarite, son of Libni
1 Chronicles 6:29
9. A Gershonite, son of Jahath
1 Chronicles 6:42
10. Father of a family in Benjamin, also called Shimhi
1 Chronicles 8:21
11. A Levite
1 Chronicles 23:9
12. A leader of singers in time of David
1 Chronicles 25:17
13. David's overseer of vineyards
1 Chronicles 27:27
14. A son of Heman
2 Chronicles 29:14
15. A Levite. Treasurer of tithes and offerings in time of Hezekiah
2 Chronicles 31:12-13
16. A Levite who put away his Gentile wife
18. A Benjamite. Grandfather of Mordecai
19. The ancestor of a family, possibly identical with 1 above
- Son of Gershon the son of Levi, (Numbers 3:18; 1 Chronicles 6:17,29; 23:7,9,10; Zechariah 12:13) called SHIMI in (Exodus 6:17) (B.C. after 1706.)
- Shimei the son of Gera, a Benjamite of the house of Saul, who lived at Bahurim. (B.C. 1023.) When David and his suite were seen descending the long defile, on his flight from Absolom, (2 Samuel 16:5-13) the whole feeling of the clan of Benjamin burst forth without restraint in the person of Shimei. He ran along the ridge, cursing and throwing stones at the king and is companions. The next meeting was very different. The king was now returning from his successful campaign. Just as he was crossing the Jordan, (2 Samuel 19:18) the first person to welcome him was Shimei who threw himself at David's feet in abject penitence. But the king's suspicions were not set at rest by this submission; and on his death-bed he recalls the whole scene to the recollection of his son Solomon. Solomon gave Shimei notice that from henceforth he must consider himself confined to the walls of Jerusalem, on pain of death. (1 Kings 3:36,37) For three years the engagement was kept. At the end of that time for the purpose of capturing two slaves who had escaped to Gath, he went out on his ass, and made his journey successfully. Ibid. (1 Kings 2:40) On his return the king took him at his word, and he was slain by Benaiah. Ibid. (1 Kings 2:41-46)
- One of the adherents of Solomon at the time of Adonjah's usurpation. (1 Kings 1:8) (B.C.1015.)
- Solomon's commissariat officer in Benjamin. (1 Kings 4:18)
- Son of Pedaiah, and brother of Zerubbabel. (1 Chronicles 3:19) (B.C. 536.)
- A Simeonite, son of Zacchur. (1 Chronicles 4:26,27)
- Son of Gog, a Reubenite. (1 Chronicles 5:4)
- A Gershonite Levite, son of Jahath. (1 Chronicles 6:42)
- Son of Jeduthun, and chief of the tenth division of the singers. (1 Chronicles 25:17)
- The Ramathite who was over David's vineyards. (1 Chronicles 27:27)
- A Levite of the sons of Heman, who took part in the purification of the temple under Zedekiah. (2 Chronicles 29:14) (B.C. 726.)
- The brother of Cononiah the Levite, in the reign of Hezekiah. (2 Chronicles 31:12,13) Perhaps the same as the preceding.
- A Levite in the time of Ezra who had married a foreign wife. (Ezra 10:23)
- One of the family of Hashum, who put away his foreign wife at Ezra's command. (Ezra 10:33)
- A son of Bani, who had also married a foreign wife, and put her away. (Ezra 10:38) (B.C. 459.)
- Son of Kish, a Benjamite, and ancestor of Mordecai. (Esther 2:5) (B.C. before 479).