- Included in Eastons: No
- Included in Hitchcocks: No
- Included in Naves: No
- Included in Smiths: No
- Included in Websters: Yes
- Included in Strongs: Yes
- Included in Thayers: Yes
- Included in BDB: Yes
- H2388 Used 1 time
- H5381 Used 2 times
- H6329 Used 1 time
- G2013 Used 1 time
- G2638 Used 1 time
- G2983 Used 2 times
- G4047 Used 0 times
- G5177 Used 3 times
OBTA'IN, verb transitive [Latin obtineo; ob and teneo, to hold.]
1. To get; to gain; to procure; in a general sense, to gain possession of a thing, whether temporary or permanent; to acquiare. this word usually implies exertion to get possession, and in this it differs from receive, which may or may not imply exertion. it differs from acquire, as genus from species; acquire being properly applied only to things permanently possessed; but obtain is applied both to things of temporary and of permanent possession. We obtain loans of money on application; we obtain answers to letters; we obtain spirit from liquors by distillation and salts by evaporation. We obtain by seeking; we often receive without seeking. We acquire or obtain a good title to lands by deed, or by a judgment of court; but we do not acquire spirit by distillation; nor do we acquire an answer to a letter or an application.
He shall obtain the kingdom by flatteries. Daniel 11:21.
In whom we have obtained an inheritance. Ephesians 1:11.
2. To keep; to hold.
OBTA'IN, verb intransitive
1. To be received in customary or common use; to continue in use; to be established in practice.
The Theodosian code, several hundred years after Justinian's time, obtained in the western parts of the empire.
2. To be established; to subsist in nature.
The general laws of fluidity, elasticity and gravity, obtain in animal and inanimate tubes.
3. To prevail; to succeed. [Little used.]
OBTA'INABLE, adjective That may be obtained; that may be procured or gained.
OBTA'INED, participle passive Gained; procured; acquired.
OBTA'INER, noun One who obtains.
OBTA'INING, participle present tense Gaining; procuring; acquiring.
OBTA'INMENT, noun The act of obtaining.