- Azariah used 49 times.
- First Reference: 1 Kings 4:2
- Last Reference: Daniel 2:17
- Included in Eastons: Yes
- Included in Hitchcocks: Yes
- Included in Naves: Yes
- Included in Smiths: Yes
- Included in Websters: No
- Included in Strongs: Yes
- Included in Thayers: No
- Included in BDB: Yes
Whom Jehovah helps.
1. Son of Ethan, of the tribe of Judah (1 Chronicles 2:8).
2. Son of Ahimaaz, who succeeded his grandfather Zadok as high priest (1 Chronicles 6:9; 1 Kings 4:2) in the days of Solomon. He officiated at the consecration of the temple (1 Chronicles 6:10).
3. The son of Johanan, high priest in the reign of Abijah and Asa (2 Chronicles 6:10, 11).
4. High priest in the reign of Uzziah, king of Judah (2 Kings 14:21; 2 Chronicles 26:17-20). He was contemporary with the prophets Isaiah, Amos, and Joel.
5. High priest in the days of Hezekiah (2 Chronicles 31:10-13). Of the house of Zadok.
6. Several other priests and Levites of this name are mentioned (1 Chronicles 6:36; Ezra 7:1; 1 Chronicles 9:11; Nehemiah 3:23, etc.).
7. The original name of Abed-nego (Daniel 1:6, 7, 11, 16). He was of the royal family of Judah, and with his other two companions remarkable for his personal beauty and his intelligence as well as piety.
8. The son of Oded, a remarkable prophet in the days of Asa (2 Chronicles 15:1). He stirred up the king and the people to a great national reformation.
he that hears the Lord
1. Son of Ethan
1 Chronicles 2:8
2. Son of Jehu
1 Chronicles 2:38-39
3. Son of Zadok, perhaps identical with Amariah
1 Kings 4:2
4. Captain of Solomon's guards
1 Kings 4:5
5. A prophet, called Obed
2 Chronicles 15:1; 2 Chronicles 15:8
6. A high priest, called Amariah
2 Chronicles 19:11; 1 Chronicles 6:9
7. Son of Jehoshaphat
2 Chronicles 21:2
8. King of Judah, called Ahaziah
2 Chronicles 22:6
9. Son of Jeroham
2 Chronicles 23:1
10. Son of Obed
2 Chronicles 23:1
11. Son of Johanan, possibly identical with Zechariah, son of Jehoiada
1 Chronicles 6:10-11; 2 Chronicles 24:20-22
12. See Uzziah, 1
13. Chief of the tribe of Ephraim
2 Chronicles 28:12
14. A Levite, called Uzziah
1 Chronicles 6:36; 1 Chronicles 6:24
15. High priest in Hezekiah's reign
2 Chronicles 31:10; 2 Chronicles 31:13
Probably identical with Ahitub
16. Son of Hilkiah
1 Chronicles 6:13-14; 1 Chronicles 9:11; Ezra 7:1; Ezra 7:3
17. Son of Hoshaiah
18. Hebrew name of Abed-Nego
Daniel 1:7; Daniel 1:19
19. A captive returned from Babylon, called Seraiah
Nehemiah 7:7; Nehemiah 10:2; Ezra 2:2
(whom the Lord helps) a common name in Hebrew, and especially in the families of the priests of the line of Eleazar, whose name has precisely the same meaning as Azariah. It is nearly identical, and is often confounded, with Ezra as well as with Zerahiah and Seraiah. The principal persons who bore this name were
- Son of Ahimaaz. (1 Chronicles 6:9) He appears from (1 Kings 4:2) to have succeeded Zadok, his grandfather, in the high priesthood, in the reign of Solomon, Ahimaaz having died before Zadok. (B.C. About 1000.) [AHIMAAZ]
- A chief officer of Solomon's, the son of Nathan, perhaps David's grandson. (1 Kings 4:5)
- Tenth king of Judah, more frequently called Uzziah. (2 Kings 14:21; 15:1,6,8,17,23,27; 1 Chronicles 8:12)
- Son of Ethan, of the sons of Zerah, where, perhaps, Zerahiah is the more probable reading. (1 Chronicles 2:8)
- Son of Jehu of the family of the Jerahmeelites, and descended from Jarha the Egyptian slave of Sheshan. (1 Chronicles 2:38,39) He was probably one of the captains of hundreds in the time of Athaliah mentioned in (2 Chronicles 23:1) (B.C. 886.)
- The son of Johanan. (1 Chronicles 6:10) He must have been high priest in the reign of Abijah and Asa. (B.C. 939.)
- Another Azariah is inserted between Hilkiah, in Josiah's reign, and Seraiah who was put to death by Nebuchadnezzar, in (1 Chronicles 6:13,14)
- Son of Zephaniah, a Kohathite, and ancestor of Samuel the prophet. (1 Chronicles 6:36) Apparently the same as Uzziah in ver. 24.
- Azariah; the son of Oded, (2 Chronicles 15:1) called simply Oded in ver. 8, was a remarkable prophet in the days of King Asa, and a contemporary of Azariah the son of Johanan the high priest, and of Hanani the seer. (B.C. 939.)
- Son of Jehoshaphat king of Judah. (2 Chronicles 21:2) (B.C.910.)
- Another son of Jehoshaphat, and brother of the preceding. (2 Chronicles 21:2)
- In (2 Chronicles 22:6) Azariah is a clerical error for Ahaziah.
- Son of Jeroham, one of the captains of Judah in the time of Athaliah. (2 Chronicles 23:1)
- The high priest in the reign of Uzziah king of Judah. The most memorable event of his life is that which is recorded in (2 Chronicles 26:17-20) (B.C. 810.) Azariah was contemporary with Isaiah the prophet and with Amos and Joel.
- Son of Johanan, one of the captains of Ephraim in the reign of Ahaz. (2 Chronicles 28:12)
- A Kohathite, father of Joel, in the reign of Hezekiah. (2 Chronicles 29:12) (B.C. 726.)
- A Merarite, son of Jehalelel, in the time of Hezekiah. (2 Chronicles 29:12)
- The high priest in the days of Hezekiah. (2 Chronicles 31:10,13) He appears to have co operated zealously with the king in that thorough purification of the temple and restoration of the temple service, which was so conspicuous a feature in his reign. He succeeded Urijah, who was high priest in the reign of Ahaz.
- Son of Maaseiah who repaired part of the wall of Jerusalem in the time of Nehemiah. (Nehemiah 3:23,24) (B.C. 446-410.)
- One of the leaders of the children of the province who went up from Babylon with Zerubbabel. (Nehemiah 7:7)
- One of the Levites who assisted Ezra in instructing the people in the knowledge of the law. (Nehemiah 8:7)
- One of the priests who sealed the covenant with Nehemiah (Nehemiah 10:2) and probably the same with the Azariah who assisted in the dedication of the city wall. (Nehemiah 12:33)
- (Jeremiah 13:2) (Jezaniah).
- The original name of Abednego. (Daniel 1:6,7,11,19) He appears to have been of the seed-royal of Judah. (B.C. 603.)