- Included in Eastons: No
- Included in Hitchcocks: No
- Included in Naves: No
- Included in Smiths: No
- Included in Websters: Yes
- Included in Strongs: Yes
- Included in Thayers: Yes
- Included in BDB: Yes
SPOT, noun [We see this word is of the family of spatter, and that the radical sense is to throw or thrust. A spot is made by spattering or sprinkling.
1. A mark on a substance made by foreign matter; a speck; a blot; a place discolored. The least spot is visible on white paper.
2. A stain on character or reputation; something that soils purity; disgrace; reproach; fault; blemish.
Yet Chloe sure was formd without a spot
3. A small extent of space; a place; any particular place.
The spot to which I point is paradise.
Fixd to one spot
So we say, a spot of ground, a spot of grass or flowers; meaning a place of small extent.
4. A place of a different color from the ground; as the spots of a leopard.
5. A variety of the common domestic pigeon, so called from a spot on its head just above its beak.
6. A dark place on the disk or face of the sun or of a planet.
7. A lucid place in the heavens.
Upon the spot immediately; before moving; without changing place. [So the French say, sur le champ.]
It was determined upon the spot
SPOT, verb transitive
1. To make a visible mark with some foreign matter; to discolor; to stain; as, to spot a garment; to spot paper.
2. To patch by way of ornament.
3. To stain; to blemish; to taint; to disgrace; to tarnish; as reputation.
My virgin life no spotted thoughts shall stain.
To stop timber, is to cut or chip it, in preparation for hewing.
1. Free from spots, foul matter or discoloration.
2. Free from reproach or impurity; pure; untainted; innocent; as a spotless mind; spotless behavior.
A spotless virgin and a faultless wife.
SPOTLESSNESS, noun Freedom from spot or stain; freedom from reproach.
SPOTTED, participle passive Marked with spots or places of a different color from the ground; as a spotted beast or garment.
SPOTTEDNESS, noun The state or quality of being spotted.
SPOTTER, noun One that makes spots.
SPOTTINESS, noun The state or quality of being spotty.
SPOTTING, participle present tense Marking with spots; staining.
SPOTTY, adjective Full of spots; marked with discolored places.